Mom Blog Domain Names
|Photo by NeONBRAND on Unsplash|
So you have decided to start a mommy blog! When I decided to start this site, the first things I thought about was my mom blog domain name. I was looking for ideas for a unique or a funny name everywhere but all the good ones were taken. In this post I will help you decide on a good name in a very simple way, but first, a few things to consider:
Have you decided on a niche?A niche blog or website is a website that is focused on a specific topic. You don't have to be very specific but it will definitely help if you are a beginner. How specific you say? That is up to you to decide, plus, you can always expand in the future.
Example: choosing a name like "MyMomBlog" would be a very broad choice. What if you are passionate about a specific topic? For example: Travelingwithkids.com. You can be even more specific and decide to blog about a certain way of traveling, traveling gear or focus on one country or state. However, that might be too narrow a niche if you decide to expand in the future. My advice is to try to find a niche that still gives you some space to write about related things in the future.
It is also ok not to decide on a niche in the beginning if you really don't want to or if you want to blog about various things. For example: you want to write about saving money and cooking.
How long should the name be?The reality is that most of the short and nice names will be taken as this is a competitive niche. Try to aim for 3-4 words maximum. Try to avoid long complicated words or words that are usually misspelled.
Mom Blog Domain Names IdeasMost mom blogs fall under a few main categories:
- Work and family life.
- Home life.
- DIY and crafts.
- Money saving.
- Cooking and recipes.
It is all about you, and your visitorThis is what I found most helpful to decide on my blog name. Give yourself a few minutes and write down a few lines about yourself, your background and what you enjoy doing and writing about. You can make you blog as personal as you want. A lot of moms like to use their own name or their kids' names in the blog name. You might want to describe yourself. For example: welshmommyblogs.com is a nice blog with a meaningful name. Another example is workingmother.com !
You also want to make your visitors feel that you are writing with them in mind. Who is your audience? Are you writing for new mothers? Maybe you are a single mother and want to focus on talking to other single parents out there?
Write content before you even startThis will give you a realistic idea about your ability to actually write good content about the topic or topic you are considering. My advice would be to try and write 10 posts on the topic you are thinking of. Write on paper or a word document and set yourself a minimum of about 700 words.
How do you stand out from competition?Let’s say you are going to start a website about parenting. There are already hundreds or thousands of websites on the same topic. Can you think of how your website might be different? Are you blogging about your personal experience? Anything unique in particular? Here are some ideas to consider:
- What you found useful in parenting your children. (Example: https://afineparent.com).
- You can explain parenting theories and psychology in simple language.
- You want to promote a new way of approaching discipline.
- Blogging about a new trend (e.g. Montessori).
- You have reviews or suggestions for useful books or courses.
- You can offer free guides or printables.
- You are a professional/coach/psychologist/teacher and want to offer your services. (Example: Aha Parenting).
- Writing about your experience in working with children with special needs.
- You tried a parenting course and want to transfer your knowledge to others.
- You are from an ethnic minority and want to talk about challenges of parenting in a different culture.
As you can see, you don’t have to be a child psychologist to write about parenting, the more personal and relevant you are the better.
Different versions or synonyms
|Click on the down arrow and choose "synonyms"|
Mother, mom, mum, mommy, or of course, mama! Using thesaurus.com is really helpful when you are stuck with a domain name that is already taken or can't find a better word to convey a meaning in your head. Take a look at the different synonyms for the word basically (one of the names I was thinking about included "basically"):
Mom blog name suggestions
Use an adjective
Add a suffix
Some names and ideas to consider
- toddlergoesout.com - great for outdoor activity or travel tips
- Add a favorite color.
- Zone (example: funnymommyzone.com is available!)
- Add a number.
- Use a word from a foreign language.
- If all else fails, se a domain name generator. NameMesh can generate brilliant lists as well as tell you which ones are available.
Tips on choosing a domain name
- Go for a .com domain. They just tend to rank better in search results and everyone is familiar with them.
- Avoid using a name that is already there or very similar to it.
- Do not add "the" to a name that is already taken, you might get in legal trouble regarding copyright.
- Only use the dash or hyphen if you have to.
- It should be easy to pronounce and to remember.
Please let me know if you have any more suggestions or questions in the comments section below. Tell us how you chose your blog's name if you own one.